Summer Term: 1 July - 23 August
Subsidised places still available
Award: Continuing Professional Development Certificate
“The course helped me to recognise what I can do to make learning easier for pupils with ADHD. I learned that as a teacher I am an important part of the ADHD management process, along with the wider school and the pupil's family.”
Effective Management and Teaching Strategies
This self-paced online course is designed to give teachers and other professionals the in-depth knowledge and practical skills necessary to work effectively with children who have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Designed by experienced psychologists and teachers, it features an introduction to ADHD by Russell Barkley, one of the world experts in the field. The prevalence of this disorder is estimated to be between 3 and 10 per cent of the school going population. There is a recognition that many untreated and unidentified children with ADHD go on to develop serious conduct difficulties and a significant percentage may end up in the prison system. This course addresses ADHD at the level of the individual student, and then delineates classroom strategies and the whole school approach required to provide optimum support for behaviour and learning.
Who is this course aimed at?
This course is aimed at teachers and others with a professional interest in ADHD. It may also be helpful for parents interested in learning about the development and appropriate education of children and young people with ADHD.
Key Course Information
- The course comprises 5 interactive learning modules, each taking approximately four hours online study time to complete, or 20 hours in total
- Learning is self-paced, allowing you to design your own study schedule around existing commitments, and giving you total freedom and flexibility
- On completion of the course you will receive a Certificate of Continuing Professional Development and a Learning Log of your course work which can be included in your CPD portfolio
- This course is approved by the Department of Education and Skills. Three EPV days are allowed for primary school teachers who take the course during the summer term. Please note this provision applies only to the summer term as per Department guidelines
- Completion of a Reflective Assignment gives you the opportunity to analyse the key learning points from the course and how they can be applied in your classroom over the year ahead
- Participants are encouraged to interact with each other via the online discussion forum, allowing learners to enter active discussions with their colleagues and receive feedback from the expert course tutors.
This course combines the latest scientific knowledge and theory of ADHD with case studies and practical, effective classroom techniques and innovative teaching strategies. You will learn to recognise the signs of ADHD, understand current theory and research on the neuropsychology of attentional difficulties, and gain practical skills in terms of designing, implementing, and evaluating alternative management and teaching strategies. This course is replete with practical behaviour management and instructional strategies which apply not only to students with ADHD, but also many other students with specific learning difficulties. Participants are encouraged to share best practice suggestions and learn from their varied experiences.
Tuition and Support
- Specialised tutors working in the area of learning disabilities will provide you with individual support and guidance as you complete your studies online.
- Technical support is provided by our dedicated team of qualified learning technologists, who can be contacted by telephone or email.
Assessment & Award:
Each student is required to complete the following items
- Interactive Learning Assignment per module
- Reflective Assignment
- Completion of CPD record
On successful completion of the course, students will receive a Certificate of Professional Development. A CPD Record that includes reflective assignments and course work contributions can be printed off for addition to a CPD portfolio.
Subsidised Course Fee: €150 Full Course Fee: €330
Currently employed teachers in the Republic of Ireland are eligible for subsidised fees. Please note that the number of subsidised places is limited and the full fee will apply once these places are filled.
How to Enrol?
Places are limited so early booking is advised.
To book a place, click here or use the Enrol Now button in the Course Option Menu on right of page. Alternatively phone 01 6510618, or email:
For Group Enrolment, Invoice Request and Payment by Employers or Organisations, please click here.